Search form

Extensions for taxpayers effected by 2019 flooding

News Releases: 

30 Day extension for state taxes due between March 18 and March 31, 2019

Seven counties receive extension on filing federal and state taxes 

Order from the Director: 

Order 2019-01: Granting Extension Due to Natural Disaster under Iowa Code Section 421.17(30)

Order 2019-03: Granting Extension Due to Natural Disaster under Iowa Code Section 421.17(30)

Frequently Asked Questions for extension granted on April 2, 2019. 

What tax returns are included in the extension?

Individual Income, Corporation, Withholding

What tax payments are included in the extension?

Individual and Corporation 2018 income tax payments, and individual and corporation 2019 estimated tax payments. 

Who qualifies for the extension?

Taxpayers whose primary residence or business is in Fremont, Harrison, Mills, Monona, Pottawattamie, Shelby, and Woodbury counties. 

What do I need to do to get the extension and not be assessed a penalty?

If you live in one of the seven impacted counties (Fremont, Harrison, Mills, Monona, Pottawattamie, Shelby, and Woodbury) an extension will be granted with penalty waived as long as you file and pay by July 31, 2019.

What if I don’t live in one of those counties, can I request an extension? 

The Department does not have an extension form to obtain additional time to file. A federal extension does not apply for Iowa purposes.

If at least 90% of your total Iowa Individual IncomeTax liability is paid by April 30, 2019, you will automatically have an additional six months to file your return. You have until October 31, 2019, to file your return. You will not be charged a late file penalty. However, you may owe an IA 2210 penalty for failure to make estimated payments. You will owe interest on any tax still due after April 30, 2019.

What if I don’t live in one of those counties but cannot pay my tax timely because of the floods? 

Taxpayers impacted by the floods whose principal residence or business is not located in the counties included in the Governor’s declarations who are unable to meet a tax filing obligation can file a request for penalty waiver with the Department pursuant to Iowa Code section 421.27. To request a waiver taxpayers should use the Department Penalty Waiver Request Form.

Does the income tax extension include the date when 529 Contributions can be made to still qualify as a tax year 2018 contribution?

Taxpayers are still required to make contributions to a college savings Iowa plan or Iowa advisor 529 plan on or before April 30, 2019, if they wish to make the election to have those contributions applied to their 2018 taxes.

Does this extension apply for my individual income tax return even if I am receiving a refund?

Yes it does. You have until July 31, 2019 to submit your return.

Do I have until July 31, 2019 to make a payment on my individual income tax return?

Yes you do.  

Will I be charged interest from April to July?

No.  Interest will be calculated per Iowa code one month after the due date of your payment, in this special circumstance July 31, 2019 is the due date.

Do I need to fill out a penalty waiver when I file the return?

No, you do not need to fill out a penalty waiver when you file. 

I was impacted by flooding but I do not live in, or own a business in one of those counties listed.  What do I do?

Unfortunately at this point of time, we were only provided with guidance on the 5 counties mentioned above.  You may file a regular penalty waiver explaining your situation and an examiner will review your information.

I saw that my withholding return can be filed later but do I still have to send in a payment for the withholding taxes on time?

Yes, the extension does not apply to withholding tax payments.

I purchased a camper to live in while I am displaced because of the flood, do I still need to pay my one-time registration tax?

The one-time registration tax has not been included in the extension to file.  You would need to pay this fee either to the dealer where you made the purchase or with your County Treasurer.  

What about my property taxes, can I get any relief on those?

Property tax relief is not part of this tax extension to file.  

What if my principal residence or place of business is in the impacted area and you send me a bill for filing or paying late?

Please contact us if this happens to you.  We may not have all of the information available to us to determine who is adversely impacted by the flooding.  We will be happy to work with you toward a resolution.