Common Mistakes

Don’t delay your refund! Follow these tips to avoid common mistakes! icon with a dollar sign, an apple, and a bar chart

Get the Facts

Gather the following information to make filing easier!

  • Your federal refund amount from last year
  • The county you live in and the county number
  • Your school district
  • Social Security Number
  • Know what you paid! Have your W-2 ready. 



icon with a nametag, three people, and an envelope

Your Information 

  • Tell us about you: name, current mailing address, & 
    social security number
  • Claiming Dependents? Enter their first name
  • Married: Give us your spouse's name & social 
    security number


Have income from another state?

  • If you lived in Iowa but paid income tax in another state: 
    Use form IA 130
  • If you lived in another state but have income from Iowa: 
    Use form IA 126

Health Insurance Premiums icon with dollar bills and a heart with a heart rate monitor in it

Did you pay premiums on your own?

  • Yes: Enter what you paid
  • No: Leave this blank

Was your premium subtracted from your wages?

  • Yes: Leave this blank
  • No: Enter what you paid


icon with graduation cap and books

Tuition and textbook tax credit

Keep receipts of what you spent! 

Did you forget to file this one? Don’t worry! File an 
amended Iowa Tax Return on paper. You will have 
to include copies of your receipt. 

Still need help?