Amending Tax Returns

Instruction Year

To amend your Individual Income Tax Return:

Check with your software vendor regarding the ability to file amended returns electronically.

Amended returns should not be sent on the same day as the original return. To correct errors or misstatements on your original filing, you may either send a new IA 1040 or an IA 1040X. Include an explanation of the changes. If you file an amended Federal return, include the Federal 1040X with your submission.

If you owe additional tax:

Calculate the tax, and any penalty and interest that may be due. You may make your payment online through eFile & Pay (direct debit) or pay with a credit card. If you wish to pay by check or money order, print an IA 1040XV payment voucher to send in with your check.