Make sure you have received all W-2s, 1099s, and other tax documents needed to prepare your return.
Important: Enter your Social Security Number(s) in the appropriate boxes on the form. Otherwise, we may be unable to process your return.
If your filing period is other than calendar year 2021, enter the beginning and ending dates of your fiscal tax year on the line provided above the name and address boxes on the return.
Name and Mailing Address
Enter your name and current mailing address on the tax return. If using a foreign mailing address, in place of the domestic city, state, ZIP, include the foreign city, country, and ZIP.
Provide the Department with your updated address if you move after your return is filed. Send an email to IDRCA-Inc@iowa.gov
NOTE: The email address entered will NOT be used to request or provide confidential information without your authorization.
The Iowa Department of Revenue may require proof of any item listed on a return or schedule.
If You or Your Spouse is 65 or Older on 12/31/21
Check the box.
Enter the number of the county you lived in as of December 31, 2021. If you do not know your county number, view a list of districts by county and number.
- Nonresidents and part-year residents who moved out of Iowa before December 31, 2021, should enter "00" as your county number.
- Part-year residents who moved into Iowa should enter the number of the Iowa county in which you lived on December 31, 2021.
- Military personnel should enter the county number of their Iowa residence, even if the service member is not physically present in Iowa on the last day of the tax year.
School District Number
Enter the district in which you lived on December 31, 2021. View a list of districts by county and number. This is not necessarily the district where your children attended school. Even if you do not have children, you must enter this number.
Your voter registration card is a good reference for your school district.
- Nonresidents: Those who did not live in Iowa at all during 2021 should enter "0000" for the school district number. You are not subject to school district surtax on line 54.
- Part-year residents who moved into Iowa should enter the Iowa school district in which you lived on the last day of 2021. You may be subject to school district surtax on line 54.
- Part-year residents who moved out of Iowa before December 31, 2021, should enter "9999." You are not subject to school district surtax on line 54.
- Military personnel should enter the school district number of their Iowa residence, even if the service member is not physically present in Iowa on the last day of the tax year. You may be subject to school district surtax on line 54.
Taxpayers who are paid in foreign currency must convert the currency to U.S. dollars as required for federal tax purposes.
Rounding to Whole Dollars
Use whole dollars to complete your return instead of dollars and cents. To round, drop amounts under 50 cents and increase amounts from 50 to 99 cents to the next dollar.
For example, $129.49 becomes $129 and $235.50 becomes $236.
If you need to add two or more amounts to enter on a line, add them together first, then round.
For example, if you received two W-2 forms, one showing wages of $5,000.55 and the other for $18,500.73, add them for a total of $23,501.28. The amount you enter on line 1 of the IA 1040 would be $23,501.