Iowa Income Tax Withheld

Step Subject
Instruction Year

Back to Expanded Instructions Index 

Enter the total amount of income tax withheld for Iowa from your W-2s, W-2Gs, and / or 1099s. This will be the figure shown in the box labeled “State income tax withheld.”

Copies of the W-2s W-2Gs, and / or 1099s showing Iowa tax withheld must be included with the return. Photocopies of originals are accepted. Your W-2s W-2Gs, and / or 1099s must be complete and legible with no alterations.

Employees: If you need a copy of your W-2, first ask your employer. Since employers are not required to send copies of W-2s to the Iowa Department of Revenue, we are not able to furnish them to you. If you are unable to obtain a copy from your employer, here are some other possible options:

  • Social Security Administration (SSA) - will provide copies of Forms W-2 for retirement purposes at no charge and for other than retirement purposes for a fee. Call 1–800–772–1213, or visit the SSA web site at  for instructions on how to obtain wage information from the SSA.
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) – will provide an exact copy of a previously filed and processed tax return with attachments (including Form W-2). You should complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the address listed in the instructions. A fee will be charged for each tax year requested.

Married Separate Filers (including status 4):

Withholding is reported by the spouse receiving the W-2, W-2G, and / or 1099.

Go to Line 64

Go to Line 66