GovConnectIowa: File, Pay, & Amend

    1. Log in using your email address and password
    2. Click File, Amend, or View Returns located on the Summary tab
    3. Click File Now for the period you want to file
    4. On the Activity section, labeled “Do You Have Tax to Report This Period?”, there are two options: 
      • I have tax to report. If you selected I have tax to report, continue to Step 5.
      • I do not have tax to report. I want to file a zero return. If you selected I do not have tax to report, skip to Step 7.
        Choose this option if the user had zero business activity and needs to file a return.
    5. Follow the steps on the screens to complete the return
    6. Make the selection to schedule a payment now or pay later 
      • If Schedule a Payment with a Bank Account is selected, you will be prompted to enter your bank account and payment information
      • If Pay Later is selected, you can print a voucher to make a payment by check or you can pay online later
    7. Submit the return

    Zero Tax Due Returns

    If you have an active tax permit you must file a return, even if no tax is due. Filing a Zero Tax Due return is an option when selecting File Now in GovConnectIowa. If you do not file a return, the Department will issue a tax bill based on the best information available. 

  • Payment Options

    Use GovConnectIowa to make a payment online. Payment options include: 

    • Pay directly from a bank account
      This option allows funds to be electronically withdrawn from your bank account using your bank routing number and your bank account number. There is no fee to use this service.
    • Pay by credit card
      A service fee will be charged by the credit card processing vendor. This service fee is retained by the vendor and is not revenue to the Iowa Department of Revenue. 

    Are there any other payment options?

    If you prefer to pay by sending us a check or money order instead of paying through GovConnectIowa, there is an option to print a payment voucher after you file your return. All checks and money orders must be mailed with a payment voucher. Make your check or money order payable to the Iowa Department of Revenue and include your IDR ID or Letter ID.

    The mailing address is located on the letter or voucher received from the Department.

    Manage Payment Channels

    You can manage your bank accounts used to make payments online in GovConnectIowa. Once a payment channel is added, the channel will be available for all of your accounts.

    To add a payment channel: 

    1. Log in using your email address and password
    2. Go to Manage My Profile, More…, and select Manage Payment Channels
    3. Select Setup New Payment Channel to add the banking information
    4. Follow the steps to complete the submission process
    5. Review the information and click Submit to update the payment window
      • Note: Once the payment information is saved, you can save this as your default option. To clear the default, select Clear Default.

    Delete or Cancel a Payment

    You can delete or cancel an online payment as long as it has not been processed yet. You can delete pending payments by going to the Search Submissions or Returns & Payments options.

  • If you discover an error on a previously filed return, you should file an amended return and pay any additional tax due, including interest.

    A user can amend a tax return on GovConnectIowa if the return was filed on GovConnectIowa. Filing periods due prior to GovConnectIowa's launch may not be amended online. To amend those returns filed outside of GovConnectIowa, you can simply file a new return for the tax period.

    To amend or correct a return:

    1. Log in using your username (email address) and password
    2. On the Summary tab, select File, Amend, or View Returns
    3. Locate the return that needs to be amended and select View or Amend Return
      1. To amend returns not originally filed in GovConnectIowa, file a new return for the tax period
    4. In the top right corner, select Amend to continue
    5. Complete the tax return with your amended figures
    6. Follow the steps to complete the amended return
  • GovConnectIowa users can save their return as a draft and complete it at a later time. The draft will be saved for 30 days. 

    To view a saved return draft with a GovConnectIowa account:

    1. Log in using your email address and password
    2. Navigate to the Action Center and locate the return that has not been completed
    3. Select View Submission to return to the saved draft
    4. Select Continue Editing
      • Note: The option to Delete the saved return draft is located in the top right