Capital Gain / (Loss)

Step Subject
Gross Income
Instruction Year

Enter 100% of any capital gain or loss as reported on federal form 1040, line 7.

A copy of your federal Schedule D and federal form 8949 (if applicable) must be included with this return if required for federal purposes.

Iowa tax law follows the federal guidelines on the exclusion of gain on the sale of a principal residence.

Married Separate Filers:

Taxpayers who filed separate federal returns should report capital gain or loss as reported for federal tax purposes.

If a joint federal return was filed, each spouse must report capital gain on the basis of ownership of the property sold or exchanged. The combined net capital gain or loss must be the same as reported on the joint federal return.

If a joint federal return was filed and both spouses have capital losses, each spouse may claim up to a $1,500 capital loss plus any unused portion of their spouse's $1,500 loss limitation. If both spouses are reporting capital losses, the sum of both spouses' losses may not exceed $3,000.

Capital Gain Deduction

Do not take the capital gain deduction on this line. Qualified taxpayers will take the capital gain deduction on IA 1040, line 23. For more information regarding the Iowa capital gain deduction, see IA 100A - IA 100F Capital Gain Deduction Information and Links to Forms & Instructions 41-161.

Go to Line 5

Go to Line 7

Source URL: