State of Iowa Prepares for Second GovConnectIowa Rollout
Seven State of Iowa agencies are preparing to add functionality to GovConnectIowa, the State’s secure online tax portal, to make it easier to do business in Iowa and to better serve Iowa’s taxpayers. The seven agencies are:
- Iowa Department of Revenue
- Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division
- Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals
- Iowa Economic Development Authority
- Iowa Finance Authority
- Iowa Lottery Authority
- Iowa Utilities Board
This is the second rollout of a multi-year effort to simplify processes for taxpayers doing business in Iowa. The State launched GovConnectIowa in November 2021, supporting functionality from the Department of Revenue, Iowa Lottery, Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, and Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division.
The initial launch provided businesses with a user-friendly, self-service portal to:
- Register or renew certain business licenses and permits
- File and make payments for sales, use, withholding, and fuel taxes
- Communicate with state agencies
In November 2022, the State will add additional tax types, increase functionality, and introduce additional state agency partners to GovConnectIowa. This second rollout will include:
- New functionality for making payments and account management for corporate income tax (including corporations, S corporations, and partnerships), and franchise tax
- The ability to apply for tax credits and manage tax credit certifications for businesses
- Expanding functions for Alcoholic Beverages Division, Department of Inspections and Appeals, and Iowa Lottery
- Introduction of new partnerships with Iowa Economic Development Authority, Iowa Finance Authority, and Iowa Utilities Board to provide tax credit applications and administration through GovConnectIowa
More details about how taxpayers will be impacted by these changes and functions will be available in September.
Iowa Department of Revenue Director Kraig Paulsen appreciates the unique partnership with existing and additional state agencies to improve and simplify services for Iowa businesses.
“It is exciting to work with even more state agencies in this phase of the project,” Paulsen said. “Together, we are making it easier to do business in our great state and creating a simpler and secure tax system in Iowa.”
You can also learn more about the modernization effort and GovConnectIowa at tax.iowa.gov/modernization. This information was sent via GovDelivery to those subscribed to receive What's New updates from the Department. To receive notifications of resources and guidance issued by the Department, subscribe to updates by selecting the tax topics of interest.