Retailer Requirements for Household Hazardous Materials

The 1987 Iowa Groundwater Protection Act includes provisions that affect retailers of Household Hazardous Materials (HHM) in two ways.

  1. Retailers who sell HHMs are required to.
    1. Complete an Iowa Business Tax Permit Registration, 78-005 form from the Iowa Department of Revenue
    2. Request a HHM permit through the Business Tax Permit Registration Form
  2. A consumer information program is available for retailers, allowing them to:
    1. Provide consumers with brochures, containing detailed information about HHMs and their proper disposal
    2. Display informational signs near products to explain labeling and direct consumers to brochures.
  • All retailers selling HHMs in Iowa must have a permit. A regular permit is $25. A special permit for manufacturers or distributors using independent agents may cost more depending on gross sales. For questions about the payment of the permit or name and address changes contact the Iowa Department of Revenue. For other questions, contact the Department of Natural Resources (contact info below under For More Information).

  • The DNR consumer HHM brochure provides information on what products are considered HHMs, proper use, storage, and disposal, phone numbers for further information, and an explanation of the groundwater concerns related to HHMs. The HHM brochure may be displayed at a location in each store that is easily accessible to consumers. Brochures are available from the DNR and may be ordered at no charge.

  • Informational Signs

    Retailers may post information signs explaining how improper disposal of HHMs can contaminate groundwater and surface water. The signs may also direct consumers to other HHM informational materials available in the store. The signs should be presented close to shelves where HHMs are displayed as well as the location where other information is available. Signs don't have to be placed next to all HHMs, but should be displayed in areas where there are concentrations of HHMs.  The signs may be ordered from the DNR at no charge.

    Motor Oil/Oil Filter Signs

    Iowa Code Section 455D:13 requires retailers who sell oil or oil filters to post a sign near the point of sale which informs customers that it is unlawful to dispose of waste motor oil or oil filters in a sanitary landfill, and that customers should return their waste motor oil and filters to collection sites for recycling and reuse. Signs are available from the DNR at no cost.

    Retailers who choose not to collect used motor oil or oil filters shall post a durable, legible 8-1/2" x 11" sign near the point of sale that reminds consumers that used motor oil and oil filters are a hazardous waste. The sign should also identify the location of the nearest used oil and filter collection site, list the benefits from recycling waste oil and filters, and state that it is illegal to dispose of waste oil and filters in a landfill or in a state waterway. Retailers should contact the HHM program at the Iowa DNR for complete sign specifications.

    Cooperation with other retailers is encouraged. The DNR maintains a listing of identified oil collection sites. Waste oil signs are available at no charge and can be ordered from the DNR.

    Lead Acid Battery Signs

    Iowa Code Section 455D.10 requires retailers selling lead acid batteries to post a sign at the point of sale stating that land disposal is prohibited and that the retailer will accept the return of a used lead acid battery at the time of purchase of a new battery. Lead acid battery signs are available from the DNR at no charge.

  • The DNR Financial and Business Assistance staff maintains an interactive map which lists locations collecting used oil, used oil filters, antifreeze, and lead acid batteries as well as vendors that transport or recycle these items from collection sites. See the Regional Collection Centers section on the DNR's Household Hazardous Materials page for your nearest disposal location. 

  • DNR Financial and Business Assistance - Safe Smart Solutions
    Call: 515-725-8200
    Write: HHM Program
    Iowa Department of Natural Resources
    Wallace State Office Building
    502 E. Ninth St.
    Des Moines IA 50319-0034

Source URL: