Retailer Requirements for Household Hazardous Materials

The 1987 Iowa Groundwater Protection Act includes provisions that affect retailers of household hazardous materials (HHMs) in two ways.

  1. Retailers who sell HHMs are required to.
    1. Complete an Iowa Business Tax Permit Registration, 78-005 form from the Department of Revenue
    2. Request a Household Hazardous Material (HHM) Permit through the Business Tax Permit Registration Form
  2. A consumer information program is available for retailers, allowing them to:
    1. Provide consumers with brochures, containing detailed information about HHMs and their proper disposal
    2. Display informational signs near products to explain labeling and direct consumers to brochures.