Taxable IRA Distributions

Step Subject
Gross Income
Instruction Year

Enter the amount of taxable IRA distributions as shown on your federal return.

Current traditional IRA owners may convert or roll over amounts from existing traditional IRAs to a Roth IRA. However, any taxable amounts that you transfer from an existing traditional IRA to a Roth IRA must be included as income for tax purposes.

Iowa has conformed to section 13613 of the 2017 Federal Tax Cuts and Jobs Act extending the period in which a qualified plan loan offset amount may be contributed to an eligible retirement plan. No Iowa adjustment is needed for such contributions.

IRA Distributions to Certain Public Charities for Individuals 70-1/2 or Older

For tax year 2018, Iowa has conformed to the federal treatment of IRA distributions to certain public charities for individuals 70-1/2 or older. No adjustment for these distributions is needed to the amount of taxable IRA distributions reported on your federal return.

Pension / Retirement Income Exclusion

The pension / retirement income exclusion is not to be taken on this line. Qualified taxpayers will take the pension / retirement income exclusion on the IA 1040

 line 21.

Married Separate Filers:

Taxable IRA distributions should be reported by the spouse whose name is on the account.

 Go to Line 7

 Go to Line 9