I owe taxes, how can I get my vehicle registration paid if there is a block on my plates?

If there is a block on your motor vehicle plates, please call the phone number on the last collection notice that you received. If you do not have a copy of your notice, you will need to contact the Department at 866-339-7912. The hold can be released when the amount you owe is paid or a payment plan is set up.

Please note, if you set up a payment plan online it can take up to 3 days to process before the block is removed. If you need a block removed sooner a collector or agent can remove a block immediately within the system after setting up a payment plan over the phone. 

I am refinancing my mortgage and I am paying the state tax lien in full. Can lien release be sent sooner than 60 days?

Yes, please contact (515) 281-3114 to obtain the payoff and remittance requirements. 

I am refinancing my mortgage. I will not receive enough money to pay off my tax lien or I will not receive any money at the loan closing. Can I request a subordination of my tax lien?

Yes, please contact (515) 281-3114 to obtain the subordination application.  We need to receive the subordination application approximately 60 days prior to your loan closing date.

I paid my tax debt. The state tax lien is still showing unpaid on my credit report, what should I do?

The Iowa Department of Revenue is not a credit reporting agency. Credit agencies review liens that are filed at the county courthouse and include state tax liens in your credit history. We file a release of state tax lien at the county recorder’s office after the debt has been paid. If the state tax lien has been released, and the lien is still showing on your credit report, you may need to obtain a copy of the state tax lien release. You may need to send this state tax lien release to the credit reporting agency.

How do I remove the state tax lien from my property?

You should pay your tax debt in full. If a Notice of Tax lien was filed, we release the lien at the county recorder’s office approximately 60 days after your tax debt was paid in full. You can pay your tax debt in full at Tax debts continue to accrue interest after the lien is filed, so your pay-off amount will likely be more than the recorded amount of the lien.

I am paying the tax lien in full. Can lien release be sent sooner than 60 days?

Why do I have to pay interest when you're just now billing me?

Interest accrues on unpaid taxes from the due date of the tax return through the current date. The interest rate and how it is applied is set by law.

NOTE: If the unreported income was from wages (W-2), gambling income (W-2G) or miscellaneous income (1099misc) that had Iowa tax withheld, please send a copy of your W-2, W-2G, or 1099misc to us. We will give you credit for the Iowa withholding and revise the amount you owe.

Send copies attached to the billing notice in the return envelope provided.

What unreported income are you billing me for?

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has notified us that they found additional income that was not reported on the federal tax return for the year you have been billed. If the IRS made a change to their original revision, please send us a copy of the letter you received from the IRS showing what they changed.

Attach a copy of the letter to the billing notice sent to you by us and mail in the return envelope provided.

Iowa Department of Revenue
PO Box 10471
Des Moines IA 50306-0471