The Iowa Department of Revenue is modernizing its technology to better serve Iowa taxpayers. The result of this effort will provide Iowa taxpayers, businesses, and tax professionals with a new and secure portal, GovConnectIowa. Beginning November 15, 2021, new features for motor fuel taxes will be available in GovConnectIowa.
Beginning November 2, 2021:
- eFile & Pay will no longer be available for motor fuel filing and payments.
- Telefile and secure file exchange options for submitting refund claims will no longer be available.
Information about filing motor fuel tax returns in GovConnectIowa beginning November 15, 2021:
- All returns, reports, and payments must be completed using GovConnectIowa.
- Fuel tax filers can use the quick-file or quick-pay options available on the home screen without logging in for easier filing and payment processing.
- Companies reporting more than 5,000 gallons of product on their return or report are required to submit the schedule information which supports the return or report using the Excel upload filing method.
- Excel uploads must use the template in GovConnectIowa exactly as formatted.
- Returns should be filed using exact cents instead of rounding to the nearest dollar.
- CNG filers will now file online. Paper returns will no longer be accepted.
Information about filing motor fuel tax refund claims beginning November 15, 2021:
- All refund claims must be completed using GovConnectIowa.
- Fuel tax license and refund claim permit holders will soon receive a letter containing instructions and an access code to create your account in GovConnectIowa.
- Letters will be mailed to the address on file for your refund claim permit.
- You must create an account before filing any refund claims.
If you cannot meet the filing deadline, complete the application for a 30 day filing extension.
See the Modernization page for more information GovConnectIowa and the new features available to taxpayers.